[URBANTH-L]CFP: The Spatial Turn: Literature, Film, Geography

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Thu Apr 26 20:29:24 EDT 2007

(Forwarded from: H-GERMAN at H-NET.MSU.EDU)

CFP: The Spatial Turn: Literature, Film, Geography (6/1/07;1/15/08;
edited volume)

Submission Deadlines:
Proposal: 6/1/07, Full essays; 1/15/08

The phrase "spatial turn" signals the growing importance of space as an
analytical as well as representational category for culture. Migrating
from fields like geography, urban studies, and architecture, the new
centrality of space and spatially inflected approaches has transformed
social-science fields as diverse as sociology, philosophy, and
psychology. In cultural studies, productive analyses of space
increasingly cut across the studies of literature, film, popular
culture, and the visual arts.

We (Jaimey Fisher of UC Davis and Barbara Mennel of the University of
Florida) are planning a volume that addresses these emerging modes of
inquiry and are seeking articles that engage with this spatial turn,
spatiality, and the theoretical implications of both.  While the spatial
turn is cutting across numerous national cultures, this Call For Papers
is seeking a particular engagement with questions of space and
spatiality in the context of German culture, history, and theory. In
Germany, recent bestsellers like Daniel Kehlmann's _Die Vermessung der
Welt_ make geographers their heroes; films like Hans-Christian Schmid's
_Lichter_ portray the dynamic spaces of Europe's border areas, while
others like Fatih Akin's _Im Juli_ unfold a new European imaginary. In a
related development, films like Peter Kahane's _Die Architekten_,
Hubertus Siegert's _Berlin Babylon_ and Hito Steyerl's _Die leere Mitte_
engage with novel urban spaces, including cityscapes and architecture.
Academic debates, led by scholars like Aleida Assmann, have helped
reconfigure both historical and memory studies, fields more and more
illuminated by theorists of space such as Henri Lefebvre, Edward W. Soja
and David Harvey.

We are particularly interested in essays that apply a spatial analysis
to German literature and film (in that order of preference), but are
also open to work on memory, architecture, geography, philosophy, and
queer and feminist theory. We imagine other relevant proposals that
might engage with specifically German theorizations of space (including
figures like Simmel, Kracauer, and Benjamin), or that create a
theoretical dialogue between Germany and the United States.

SUBMISSION INFORMATION:
Please send abstract (250 words maximum) and a short CV to both editors:
Barbara Mennel at mennel at ufl.edu and Jaimey Fisher at jrfisher at ucdavis.edu

Final essays will be due January 15, 2008. We have engaged in
preliminary discussions about the volume with a press that has
articulated a desire to see a full proposal with committed authors and
their abstracts by June 1, 2007.