[URBANTH-L]Is Diversity Bad for Cities? (Sam Beck)

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Sun Aug 12 19:11:16 EDT 2007

From: Sam Beck <sbeck at med.cornell.edu>

Linda's point is appropriate.  We need to look into the right place to find
social capital, a term I am not fond of because it places organic
relationships within the same conditions of capital formation where it does
not fit.  In any case, Linda points us into the right direction.  We need to
ask, "What are the conditions, forces and processes that do create civil
society?"  We may not find civil society in the same places as in the past,
although there are plenty of examples where this does occur and we should
not deny civil society's appearance there as well.

Sam