[URBANTH-L]Where IS the Bronx? /Critique of Putnam

Dani Kranz moewe at gmx.li
Wed Aug 15 13:35:44 EDT 2007

Dear All

I haven't read Putman's book yet, however there are some issues that struck me, in particular the one raised by Adeola and one more general observation from my experiences of ethnographic fieldwork in urban areas.

1. What Adeola describes reminds me of my own surrounding in London, and the universities I went to. As an undergrad I went to Middlesex, which was marketed as a local university to the locals (not to us internationals) and it was indeed local and highly international. As  post-grad I went two to University of London colleges, Goldsmiths and LSE. In my MA class at Goldsmiths we were 3 Londoners (two long-term residents, one 'native') and 11 students who had come from abraod for their master's and all left London again. From the PhD students I met at LSE there were those who had come to London for their degrees and stayed on (25%), but about 50% had come in for their PhD and were bound to leave again or work for a high paying job regardless of destination.
My fellow students at Middlesex wanted jobs similar to what Adeola describes for the public institution, LSE in particular eerily resembles the private one. I think what s/he observed is not a phenomema restricted to the US, but one that can be found in any countries with similar inequalities. In those were fees are lower, say Germany, the inequalities find different expressions, but exist very much too. The same goes for her/his observations about the travel to work.

2. Huge urban diverse areas have patterns of social capital/cohesions that are expressed differently to those assumed in small communities. In urban areas the social cohesion between individuals is not necessarily based on proximity, in as much as mobility exists, individuals will migrate towards other individuals with similar interests or likes (I'm not fatalastic enought to quote Tajfel here though there is certainly a lot of truth to what he says). This brings me to the issue of homogenous communities which presumably have a higher social cohesion and based on this higher social capital. What does that entail? Giving to local charity? In the highly diverse East London where I live the locals give to charities too, charities of their choice, which can be found on the local high road - there is an outlet of a charity for the blind, a PDSA (pets in need of vets), and two different outlets for the Kashmiri rescue fund. In Cologne, Germany, where I researched Jews, those gave to several charities, some favoured charities with Jewish or Israeli focus, others were whole-hearted members of Greenpeace and donated to them, yet others donated to local Cologne charities. In as much, giving to charity is a very personal expression of a personal favour. This brings me to the very practical point, which I was going to make: in diverse areas social policies are certainly more difficult to draft, and anything geared at 'the' community is doomed to failure as there are multiple communities, and multiple belongings. I am wondering who has such a problem with this, the locals, or the governemtal agencies who don't know how to cope? These diverse areas are more difficult to govern, and less docile (somebody used the term more resilient, I agree). Furthermore, the assumption of homogenous cities or small villages as having an 'organic community' is rather dubious. It seems to me that this is more a craving for security that is based on nostalgia and the hope to answer every difficult and complex questions very simply. On the extrem side, I just came across the book _Ordnung und Angst_ (Order and Fear) by Susanne Spülbeck, which deals with Russian Jewish refugees in the East of Germany shortly after the collaps of the GDR. Russians. Jews. Germans. Prejudices. Stereotypes. Fear that was built up over years in the GDR. The village she researched had about 1,600 (German) residents, and 70 Jews from Russia who were put there, Spülbeck shows that the fear of the 'other' was often symptomatic and played out social dramas of the homogenous German population. Homogeneity and even a small village is no safe haven, differences and fear find different expressions in such a surrounding, but the nevertheless exist. Projecting them on a stranger or strangers, or the general other is a psychological mechanism to cope, in diverse metropolitan areas and apparently homogenous communities alike.
This finally brings me to the point of crime and fear thereof (I mean crime against a person or property, not white collar crime). Who exactly is afraid of what? I'm sure that residents of diverse rich neighbourhoods are less scared of crime than those living in deprived diverse and homogenous neighbourhoods alike. Crime is not an outcome of diversity, crime is an outcome of poverty.

Dani

-------- Original-Nachricht --------