[URBANTH-L]Job Posting in Religion

Russell Sharman RSharman at brooklyn.cuny.edu
Mon Dec 3 22:41:41 EST 2007

I realize this is not in Urban Anthropology ­ but I want to solicit
applications as many anthropologists as possible. So please forward to as
many colleagues as you can. Thanks!

Brooklyn College invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor
position, beginning September 1, 2008, to teach, pursue research and
coordinate our Program of Studies in Religion. We seek candidates whose
specialty is religious studies with a disciplinary background in the social
sciences or humanities. Individuals who combine historical, critical, and
interdisciplinary approaches are welcome to apply.  Candidates¹ scholarship
and teaching should shed light on contemporary issues involving religious
difference.  A Ph.D. in any related discipline by August 2008 is required.

Brooklyn College has a long tradition of educating first-generation
immigrants, and students who are religiously, racially, and ethnically
diverse.  The college is part of the City University of New York, a leading
academic research institution and the largest urban public university in the
country.  Candidates from underrepresented populations are encouraged to
apply.  We seek candidates with the ability to teach in a diverse,
multicultural urban environment, and who are able to promote dialogue
drawing on Brooklyn¹s rich religious diversity.

Candidates should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae,
publications or writing sample, three letters of recommendation, and a
teaching portfolio that includes a statement of pedagogic philosophy, sample
syllabi and class assignments, teaching observations and student
evaluations. Review of applications will begin 1/1/08 and continue until
position is filled. Materials should be sent to Michael Hewitt, AVP for
Human Resources Services, 2900 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11210.  Brooklyn
College is an AA/EO/IRCA/ADA employer.

Russell Leigh Sharman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology