[URBANTH-L]WWW: Demonizing the Inner City - Ideology and the Urban Poor

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Fri Feb 9 18:34:11 EST 2007

From: Stephen Macek <shmacek at noctrl.edu>

Hi all, check out this new video on media representations of poverty
and the inner city. A low-resolution, streaming version is available
free online via Google Video (see details below).

Labor Beat #515: Demonizing the Inner City - Ideology and the Urban Poor

In this video presentation, I analyze the hysteria over the central
city and the urban poor that permeated American politics and popular
culture in the 1980s and 90s. I dissect the way mainstream politicians
(Rudolph Giuliani, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, George Bush Sr.) ,
conservative intellectuals and the corporate media conspired to
demonize inner city neighborhoods and their residents. In particular, I
discuss the way that TV news reproduced and validated the right's
stigmatizing, victim blaming images of the urban poor.  Ultimately, I
critique the reactionary political interests served by this divisive
discourse on urban pathology and points to what activists can do to
counter its destructive influence.

Streaming:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1808948055843475610

To order a dvd
Indicate title "Demonizing the Inner City"
and mail $15 check to:
Labor Beat
37 S. Ashland
Chicago, IL 60607

or
$15 by PayPal
Fill out and send form at:
http://www.laborbeat.org/3/forml604.htm

More info: 312-226-3330
mail at laborbeat.org
www.laborbeat.org

Labor Beat is affiliated with IBEW 1220. Views expressed are those of
the producer, not necessarily of IBEW. Labor Beat is a CAN TV Community
Partner.

Steve Macek
Assistant Professor
Speech Communication