[URBANTH-L]CFP: "Why We Move," Int'l Migration Conf., Cal Poly Pomona

Benito Vergara bvergara at sfsu.edu
Fri Jan 12 10:48:34 EST 2007

Call For Papers

California State Polytechnic University Pomona is holding an international
conference on “Why We Move: Economic, Environmental, Cultural and Political
Dimensions of International Migration.”  The event will be held on our
campus on April 13-14, 2007.  The International Center at Cal Poly Pomona is
soliciting papers, panels, workshops, and creative presentations on any
topics related to the causes and consequences of migration within and
between countries.
Possible topics include the international flow of capital and labor,
refugees and populations in diaspora, cultural globalization,
epidemiological and environmental issues, and related themes.  We seek
contributions from scholars of the humanities and social sciences,
scientists, community activists, artists, policy and business professionals,
and development workers.  Sessions will run for 90 minutes; individual
papers should be 15 to 20 minutes (followed by questions), panels about an
hour and ten minutes.  Displays, interactive demonstrations, and book
promotions are welcome.  We envision a discussion forum wrap-up as the final
session on Saturday.

You can submit proposals for individual papers, full sessions, or panel
presentations for review by the program committee.  All proposals should
include the name and affiliation of the participant(s) with contact
information; the title of the presentation (if panel or session, the panel
title); a one-page abstract of (each of) the presentation(s); and
audiovisual needs.  Kindly include a biodata sheet.  You will receive
notification of acceptance by February 10, 2007. If you have any questions,
please contact the members of the program committee:

Päivi Hoikkala: phoikkala at csupomona.edu, or (909) 869-4574 Dorothy D. Wills:
ddwills at csupomona.edu, or (909) 869-3582

Please submit your proposal electronically to bkinder at csupomona.edu no later
than January 31, 2007, or by mail c/o Betsy Kinder, Program Committee,
International Conference, International Center, Cal Poly Pomona, 3801 W.
Temple Avenue, Pomona, CA 91768.