[URBANTH-L]Re: The Temp-Scholar Market and the Future of Anthropology

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Wed May 2 22:32:29 EDT 2007

From: Dimitra Doukas <dimitra.doukas at gmail.com>

I just read your post to URBANTH-L. Corporatization and the dominant market
ideology loom large in our predicament, but I wanted to mention another
aspect of the situation.

Four or so years ago I put together some figures on the anthro job market
for a seminar. My source was figures then published on the AAA website. I
just counted up PhDs granted and academic hires in the couple of years for
which data was posted and found, to my surprise, EIGHT times as many new
PhDs as new hires. These calculations were incomplete as the hire figures
did not include our casual labor market but they point up something
interesting.

Bureaucratic status in the academic world as in the business world is based
on the size of your budget and the number of people you 'supervise.' As the
number of hires began to shrink (when was the turnaround?), department
chairs did not accordingly shrink the size of their PhD programs because
their own and their department's incentives all lined up against that
sensible move. 10-15 years of chairs' holding onto large programs produced
the glut of PhDs that made the academic sweatshop possible.

not cheery news but there's no good remedy without good analysis

don't let the bastards get you down!

Dimitra