[URBANTH-L]QUERY: Top Ten Ways to Battle Against the Neoliberalization of University Life?

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Thu Nov 15 16:50:55 EST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

In preparation for an upcoming special issue of Anthropology News, on the
"Political Economy of Academia," I'm preparing a top ten list of ways to
"battle against the neoliberalization of university life."

Here are a few examples I thought of, upon initial reflection:

* Invite adjunct and part-time faculty to departmental meetings.
* Don't require standardized testing for student admissions.
* Use course packets or next-to-last edition textbooks, which students may
purchase for $10 (rather than $120).

I'd like to make this a collective list, as I am sure that you also have
some excellent ideas.  What practical steps might we to take, to make
our departments more about people, and less about budgets?

Please email your ideas, by 11/19/07, to: jancius at ohio.edu.

Thank you in advance!

Angela Jancius

Co-Moderator, Urbanth-L
jancius at ohio.edu

The Listserv of the Society for Urban, National
and Transnational/Global Anthropology (SUNTA)
http://www.sunta.org/