[URBANTH-L] CORI (Committee on Refugees & Immigrants)Business Meeting at the AAAs

Lucia Ann McSpadden lmcspadden at psr.edu
Tue Nov 27 18:55:44 EST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I appreciate Jason raising these questions prior to the meetings [which
I will not be able to attend].  I, like Jim, am an 'older' member of
CORI, actually one of the founders.  I agree with Jim that it is time to
revisit the decision to join refugee studies/research with migration
studies/research as well as appreciating his eloquence in laying out
issues.  I also appreciate what Sarah says about the similarities in the
realities of those who migrate whether refugees or for other reasons.
However, the uniqueness of the refugee situation within the
international as well as national refugee systems easily gets lost when
the primary focus is migration.  Additionally, in keeping with the
protective legal aspects of "refugee" designation, implying danger,
internally displaced persons are often, and to my mind correctly,
included in refugee studies -- witness the internally displaced in
Darfur and the Congo. As Jim notes, when one focuses upon refugees and
the internally displaced, human rights quickly comes into focus. Studies
engaging violence, social reconciliation,and peace become germaine to
the exploration of refugee issues.

Institutionally within AAA many scholars are working on
migrant/immigrant issues from many vantage points and research concerns.
Yet, most of these scholars do not relate to CORI, or at least have not
in my experience.  They connect more to a subdiscipline, e.g.,
education.  If one of the reasons to bring immigrant studies within CORI
was to broaden the membership and have a cross-fertilization of ideas,
it would be appropriate to investigate whether or not this goal has been
accomplished.

I send you all warm regards and wishes for a productive CORI meeting.

Lucia Ann/Shan

Lucia Ann McSpadden, Ph.D.
Coordinator of International Student Support
Adjunct Faculty
Pacific School of Religion
1798 Scenic Avenue
Berkeley, CA  94709