[URBANTH-L]Question, neoliberalism and collective identities

Tuomas Martikainen tmartika at abo.fi
Wed Apr 2 17:04:31 EDT 2008

Dear all,

I am approaching you in a question where Google and rest of the usual
problem solving mechnisms did not work (for me, anyway).

Our neoliberal times are often associated with highly individualised and
consumerist identities. However, it seems to me that there are also
social mechanisms that produce collective ethnic / religious identities
that appear but may not in the end be that much different of consumerist
identities. I suppose that these are somehow related to governance of
ethnic/minority/religious communities and maybe media. I am especially
trying to understand changes in collective identities among minority
religious communities in Europe (including Muslim communities).

All help will be of value!

Tuomas Martikainen
Tuomas Martikainen, tuomas.martikainen at abo.fi
PhD, Postdoctoral Researcher, Academy of Finland,
Åbo Akademi University,
Dept. of Comparative Religion
Fabriksgatan 2, 20500 Åbo, Finland
Tph +358-(0)2-215 3270 / +358-(0)40-592 4202
http://www.diaspora.fi/martikainen.html