[URBANTH-L]CFP: AN issue on University-Community Partnerships

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Mon Apr 21 16:21:39 EDT 2008

Dear Colleagues,

Anthropology News is seeking contributions for an upcoming thematic issue on
the anthropology student experience to be published in September 2008. We
welcome the participation of students, educators and practitioners, and we
encourage you to circulate the following call for proposals among your
students and colleagues.

Commentaries
Thematic In Focus commentary series will address (1) university-community
partnerships and interactions and (2) the diverse character of anthropology
graduate programs. Articles in the first series may address service learning
programs, local internships and research, or the ethics of "doing
anthropology at home." Articles in the second series may examine the growth
of new interdisciplinary programs and initiatives; multi-degree, masters and
applied programs; limitations or innovations within existing programs; or
funding concerns. Proposals for comparative pieces on anthropology education
in the US and other countries and on other topics related to the two central
themes are also welcome.

Additional Opportunities
AN also encourages proposals related to this general theme for articles in
other sections of the publication - including Teaching Strategies and Field
Notes - and for independent (non-series) commentaries and general news
features. We welcome proposals in non-traditional article formats such as
photo essays, infographics, op-ed cartoons, interviews and multi-authored
discussions. Contributors interested in coediting article series or
submitting a cover photo should also contact the AN editorial office.

Guidelines
To participate in this thematic issue email a 300 word proposal and 50-100
word author bio to AN Associate Managing Editor Dinah Winnick
(dwinnick at aaanet.org). Proposals for photo essays should also include five
high resolution photographs.

Proposal deadline: May 23, 2008. Early submissions are encouraged.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Dinah Winnick

Dinah Winnick
Associate Managing Editor, Anthropology News
American Anthropological Association
2200 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 600
Arlington, VA 22201
703.528.1902 ext. 3005