[URBANTH-L]ANN: Inside-Out Prison Exchange Conference (Indiana)

mckennab at umd.umich.edu mckennab at umd.umich.edu
Fri Aug 15 14:14:29 EDT 2008

This is an important form of critical engagement. Last year I
participated in a similar program at the University of
Michigan-Dearborn. The program is under the leadership of Dr. Lora
Lempert. I taught Introduction to Anthropology at a maximum security
women's prison. Or should I say we critically dialogued! A good many
of the students were very politically sophisticated - they taught me
much. We need to have more anthropology advocates for prisoners, since
a great many are "political" prisoners, there as a consequence of
class, race and gender oppression.

Best,

Brian McKenna

us at ohio.edu: