[URBANTH-L]CFP: Cities: The 78th Anglo-American Conference

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 20:04:48 EDT 2008

Call for papers 'Cities - The 78th Anglo-American Conference'
Location: United Kingdom, 2-3 July, 2009

Submission Deadline: October 31, 2008

For 10,000 years cities have shaped the affairs of mankind. Now, more than
half of the world's population is urban, dwelling in settlements that we
identify as 'city' or 'town', some of them so extensive and so complex that
they seem to transcend traditional notions of urban organisation and form.
As so many of us mass together in cities, are we at a turning point in our
identity as humans? Or does past experience of cities offer some clues for
the future, whether one of hope or of disaster?

The conference will deal with the history of cities throughout the world.
Proposals are sought for papers or panel sessions on any aspect of city
life, form, ideology and culture. Thematic contributions making comparisons
over time, or across space, will be especially welcome, as will those on
networks of cities and their role in cultural formation, on the relations
between cities, territories and larger political units, on the ideologies
and cosmologies of the city and on what distinguishes the city or town from
other forms of settlement or ways of life.

If you wish to propose a session (usually consisting of three 20-minute
papers and 30 minutes of discussion) or a paper to be included in a session
arranged by the organisers, you should provide titles and short synopses for
papers, and statements of academic affiliation and of professional status
for speakers. For sessions, please provide a title and nominate a chair as
well as speakers.

The full Call for Papers can be found at http://www.history.ac.uk/aac2009

Proposals should be sent by email to cities at history.ac.uk by 31 October
2008.