[URBANTH-L]CFP: Transnational Masculinities in the New Contact Zones of Empire: CASCA/AES Vancouver 2009

Veissière, Samuel, Dr. sveissiere at ucn.ca
Wed Dec 17 00:44:45 EST 2008

Hi all,

I am hoping to put together a panel for the CASCA/AES Conference on Transnational Anthropologies to be held in Vancouver, May 13-16, 2009

http://www.anth.ubc.ca/CASCA_AES_2009.11928.0.html

We have a little over a month before the CFP deadline of January 31, so I hope to get responses soon.

Hope to see many of you there,

Cheers,

Samuel.

How are old and emerging Masculinities being articulated in the new sexual "contact zones" of Empire?

Here, I borrow Mary Louise Pratt's concept of "contact zones" ("social spaces where disparate cultures meet, clash, and grapple with each other, often in highly asymmetrical relations of domination and subordination" 2006: p7), and hope to contribute new ethnographic perspectives to her interrogation of how people "on the receiving end of Empire" appropriate and talk back to "Metropolitan modes of representation" (ibid).

In these (as usual) uncertain times of (post?)Late Capitalism, I take for granted that colonial Metropolitan/Peripheral, Dominant/Subordinate, and North/South hegemonies have been scrambled, and am interested in the way old Metropolitan modes of [racialized & sexualized] regimes of representation are being renegotiated and rearticulated through contemporary transcultural encounters. I am interested, therefore, in new (or old) Masculinities being (re)articulated anywhere, by anyone, and am not limiting my inquiry to a scrutiny of white or heteronormative Masculinities, or to an essentializing exploration of "Other" masculinities.

I would be thrilled to bring together papers that explore transnational/transcultural sexual economies in which racialized and essentialized masculinities are being performed

My own paper, in which I will discuss the possibilities for a field of "Gringo Studies" will explore the historical continuum between Sex, Conquest and Nation-building, Conquistador frontier masculinities, and present-day Gringo Self-Fashioning.

Other possible papers could explore:

*	Masculinites articulated in the context of transcultural sex-work (presented in a nuanced/ambiguous way that does not reinforce reductionistic discourses on "trafficking" and exploitation)
*	Queer masculinities
*	Masculinities performed in the context of Women sex travel
*	Any suggestion?

See: Pratt, Mary Louise (2006). Imperial Eyes: Travel Writing and Transculturation (2nd ed.). London: Routledge

Samuel P. L. Veissière, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Anthropology

Chair, Social Sciences Area

Faculty of Arts, University College of the North

504 Princeton drive, Thompson, MB, R8N 0A5

Tel: (204) 677 8083 / Fax: (204) 677 6589

Toll-free: 1866 677 6450

e-mail: sveissiere at ucn.ca <mailto:sveissiere at ucn.ca> / web: www.ucn.ca <http://www.ucn.ca/>

https://www.ucn.ca/ics/Programs/Faculty_and_Staff_Pages/SVeissiere/ <https://www.ucn.ca/ics/Programs/Faculty_and_Staff_Pages/SVeissiere/>