[URBANTH-L]References Request--MX-US Migration

Fazila Bhimji fbhimji at uclan.ac.uk
Sun Dec 21 14:01:46 EST 2008

Second the documentary De Nadie-quite original since it looks at Central Americans crossing into the Mexican Border. Also  be of relevance and interest might be  Bobby Byrd's Puro Border and The Late Great Mexican Border. He does some poetry as well.  Worthwhile checking out Cinco Punto Press-located in El Paso and they come out with interesting stuff.

Best

Fazila

>>> "Ben Chappell" <bchap at ku.edu> 20/12/08 1:44 AM >>>
I second many of the suggestions, especially Crossing Over and Farmingville.
One that I have not read, but would be interested to see this list respond
to, is Luis Alberto Urrea's The Devil's Highway. A couple of other
documentaries that are really good include Heather Courtney's Letters from
the Other Side (http://www.sidestreetfilms.com/) and Natalia Almada's Al
Otro Lado (http://www.altamurafilms.com/). For teaching material, it can be
interesting to poke around in the "interactive documentary" 9500 Liberty (
youtube.com/9500liberty).
Good luck!
Ben Chappell
Program in American Studies