[URBANTH-L]CFP--Transnational Political Participation, North America

Sarah Horton hortonsarah at msn.com
Wed Feb 13 12:52:45 EST 2008

CALL FOR PAPERS-AAA panel
DEADLINE: February 28 (ASAP!)
SUBMIT TO:  mrb24 at cornell.edu

Seeking panelists whose work addresses the topic of political engagement
by transnational migrants residing in North America (see panel abstract
below).  This panel will be submitted for consideration for invited
session status to the Society for the Anthropology of North America for
the AAA annual meeting on November 19-23, 2008.
Please submit paper proposals of no more than 250 words to Miranda Cady
Hallett at mrb24 at cornell.edu by February 28, 2008.

The turbulence and mobility of the past 30 years have seen the development
of vibrant communities of transnational migrants across North America.
Many of these diasporic communities have been active politically, both in
the hostland context and in homeland settings.  The response of
nation-states has often been one of exclusion and/or exploitation, though
there are examples of restructuring of political institutions to
facilitate the participation of migrant voices.
This panel explores the practice and signification of transnational
migrant political action.  How are the political practices of migrants
related to their own lived experiences of racialization, ethnicity, class,
and gender?  How are these experiences transforming through the process of
migration itself?  How do various sociolegal institutions, including the
construction of "illegality," impact the lives of (im)migrants residing in
North America?  What practices of signification set the limits-and push
the boundaries-of (im)migrant enfranchisement?  In the case of homeland
politics, how does (e)migrant action impact political practices and
institutional forms?  What is the role of (e)migrant nostalgia, remittance
practices, and legal status in shaping the efficacy and orientation of
homeland-directed political action?  What kinds of international and
transnational institutions are emerging or transforming to engage with
migrant activism?  Finally, what insight can we gain from these practices
into the future of political belonging and participation?  Without
assuming a "post-national" world, how can we re-conceptualize political
participation in the context of multiple geographic orientations?

As organizer I welcome abstracts dealing with migrant communities residing
or sojourning in Canada, the United States, or Mexico.  I seek diversity
of perspective, analytical mode, and methodology.  Activists, students,
first-time presenters, and people with a disciplinary background other
than anthropology are welcome as well.  Please write me at the above email
with any questions.