[URBANTH-L]Submission of papers,posters and panels for 2008 AAA meeting

Deborah Pellow dpellow at maxwell.syr.edu
Thu Jan 17 18:41:26 EST 2008

TO:		SUNTA members
FROM:	Deborah Pellow, Program Chair
RE:	Call for papers and panels, 2008 AAA meeting, San Francisco CA

The following is the basic information for panel, paper and poster
submissions for the San Francisco AAA meeting in November  19-23 2008.
The call for papers is in the January Anthropology News while the hard
copy submission forms can be downloaded from the AAA web site at
www.aaanet.org.  The forms will be posted in early February.  The
Association would appreciate program participants submitting their
proposals and registering online via the AAA's secure website.

There are two stages of review: by SUNTA and by the AAA, thus there are
two different deadlines:
1) For those of you who want to have a panel considered for "invited"
status, the deadline for submission to SUNTA is March 1. Some relevance
to the theme is advisable.  2) The deadline for submission for
individual papers, panels, and posters to AAA is April 1, 5 pm EST.
After you have submitted your proposal, please let me know for the sake
of later tracking.

Individual papers: While anyone can volunteer a paper, the likelihood of
its acceptance is greater if it is part of an organized session. By the
same token, together with my Program Committee, I will make every effort
to combine individually volunteered papers into panels.

We invite groups of students to submit panels. These will be judged
along with all of the submissions. The top-ranked of the student panels
will be rewarded $1000 to offset the costs of transportation, hotel fee
and so on of its participants.

Requirements: To participate in the program, one must 1) be a member of
the Association in good standing, and 2) register for the meeting at the
time of submitting the completed proposal. Individuals are permitted
only one paper presentation and one other role (organizer, discussant or
chair) on the scientific program. Panel abstracts can be up to 500
words, individual paper abstracts up to 250 words.

Presentation: Sessions on the scientific program can be submitted as a
single (1.75 hours) session, or as a double (3.75 hours) session, but no
more. Volunteered papers are allotted a maximum of 15 minutes each.
Poster sessions are 1.75 hours with 7 presenters per session.

Alternative presentation formats: These include a single panel followed
by a poster session; simultaneous roundtables as a relaxed form of
session; or a workshop.