[URBANTH-L] Second CFP: Desire, Performance, and Global Mobility in the Late Capitalist Cultural Economy

Veissière, Samuel, Dr. sveissiere at ucn.ca
Wed Jan 23 15:49:27 EST 2008

Hi all,
This is a second and last call for participants for a panel I am organizing for the LOVA conference in Amsterdam in July. We have three confirmed participants so far, and would welcome something on Africa and/or the Asia/Pacific region.
Please query first and submit abstracts before February 1st

Cheers,

Samuel Veissière, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Anthropology
Community-Based Program, Bunibonibee Cree Nation
Faculty of Arts
University College of the North
Oxford House, MB, R0R1C0
Tel: (204) 538 2270
Toll Free: 1 866 677 6450
Email: sveissiere at ucn.ca

Desire, Performance, and Global Mobility in the Late Capitalist Cultural Economy

This panel brings together ethnographic inquiries from different corners of the globe that investigate subaltern actors' strategic performances of race-and-gender-based identities for the purpose of global mobility "from below" (from North to South) through transnational marriage or relationships. Papers will examine this phenomenon from the point of view of Southern subaltern men and women's calculated performance of White fantasies of negritude, femininity, and/or masculinity based on their own critical reading of colonial-fetishist and neocolonial-commercialized narratives of identity production. Through these stories of desire and violence at the intersection of Whiteness and Neocolonial Otherness, we document acts of subaltern agency that clearly shatter claims of false consciousness, while keeping open the question of the new transnational hegemonies in which these global characters are entangled.