[URBANTH-L]ANN: 7-9 Doctoral and Postdoctoral Positions (U Zurich)

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Tue Jul 22 16:05:14 EDT 2008

University of Zurich - 7-9 research positions at doctoral and post-
doctoral level

Location: Switzerland
Institution Type: College/University
Position Type: Doctoral Fellow
Submitted: Monday, July 14th, 2008

The University Priority Research Programme (UPRP) Asia and Europe of
Zurich University explores exchanges and encounters that have taken
and continue to take place between Asia and Europe in the areas of
culture, law, religion and society. It promotes research by young
graduate and post-graduate scholars within a structured and
interdisciplinary research environment.

We invite applications for

7-9 research positions at doctoral and post-doctoral level

Starting date: 1 January 2009.

We expect: original research (PhD or Postdoc project) related to the
UFSP theme; participation in the UFSP's graduate programme
(colloquium, working groups, seminars, work¬shops), where discussions
are conducted in German and/or English. Candidates should commit
themselves to acquiring an adequate knowledge of the German language.

Requirements: M.A. or equivalent academic degree (PhD for postdocs)
that qualifies the candidate to submit a PhD (or habilitation) thesis
in one of the following disciplines: Art History, Chinese Studies,
Cultural/Social Anthropology, Geography, History (all periods),
Indology, Islamic Studies, Japanese Studies, Law, Political Science,
Study of Religions, Theology.

We offer a stimulating and demanding disciplinary and
interdisciplinary research environment (4 faculties, 12 disciplines),
opportunities to share one's own research interests with profes¬sors
and peers from various disciplines, appropriate space for initiatives
among the participants.

Employment conditions: 50% research position at Zurich University.
Employment is for one year with the possibility of an extension up to
three years. PhD dissertations, and where applicable a habilitation
thesis, should be finalized within three years and will be submitted
at the University of Zurich.

The UFSP Asia and Europe puts special emphasis on research in three
domains: history of con-cepts,polycentricity and entangled
histories,multiscalar governance and economic orders. We encourage
applications within these domains but will also consider related
projects.

Applications (fully documented according to the instructions
published on our website) should be submitted by 12 September 2008 to:

Dr. Inge Ammering
UFSP Asien und Europa
University of Zurich
Scheuchzerstrasse 21
CH-8006 Zurich
E-mail: Inge.Ammering at access.uzh.ch

Please visit our website for additional information on the UFSP Asia
and Europe and for further instructions on the submission of your
application:
www.asienundeuropa.uzh.ch

Contact Info:
Dr. Inge Ammering