[URBANTH-L]Call for Suggestions: "SongScapes"

Rowan EditClass bozorth25 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:33:14 EDT 2008

  I am seeking suggestions for a new feature at my blog, Eclectic Pedestrian (http://eclecticpedestrian.blogspot.com/). Titled SongScapes, this regular feature will offer for conversation a variety of popular songs that deal largely - or specifically - with land use, sprawl, planning, development, etc.
  While popular music, particularly in America, sometimes has dealt with big-picture social-justice topics in which planning/sprawl issues play a part, but less well-known are songs that deal more precisely with this issue.
   Just up on the blog is my first post in this area, about the Pretenders' "My City Was Gone." It includes a brief commentary from me and comments I found by songwriter Chrissie Hynde about the song and her love of her hometown of Akron, Ohio.
  I have other songs lined up for future posts, but I'm eager to hear others' suggestions. Please visit my blog and join in the conversation about "My City Was Gone," and please send your suggested songs to Eclectic Pedestrian at the address listed at the blog. Whenever possible, please include the lyrics and/or a link to the music. I'll give consideration to all submissions and even will try to include guest commentaries on my blog.
Thanks,
Deb

==Deborah WoodellAdjunct Professor, journalism
GIS studentRowan UniversityGlassboro, N.J.