[URBANTH-L]Job announcement: Director of interdisciplinary Division of Social & Behavioral Sciences

Kristin Koptiuch koptiuch at asu.edu
Fri Mar 7 22:56:49 EST 2008

Colleagues, Please distribute widely this job announcement for Division
Director / Full Professor.

By the way, the division director position is above the chair level and
reports directly to the Dean of the New College of Interdisciplinary Arts
and Sciences. We seek a senior scholar with administrative experience to
lead our unique interdisciplinary department. We would absolutely love it if
we could hire someone with expertise in urbanism and/or migration!

Kristin Koptiuch

Position Announcement:

Director, Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Arizona State University at the West Campus, Phoenix

The newly forming Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences at Arizona
State University invites applications for Division Director. The division is
composed of faculty from the former Department of Social and Behavioral
Sciences and from related fields. We are seeking exceptional senior
candidates for appointment at the rank of Full Professor. The person
appointed must have a Ph.D. in a social or behavioral sciences field.
The successful applicant will be expected to engage in research and teaching
that complement and add to our strength in social or behavioral sciences and
will be expected to contribute to our Division¹s interdisciplinary teaching
and research missions and provide administrative leadership for the
Division. Opportunities exist for participation in University Ph.D.
programs.

Candidates must demonstrate a) a research record of excellence warranting
appointment as a Full Professor with tenure at ASU; b) an ongoing program of
research; c) a history of receiving extramural research funding; d) a record
of successful teaching; e) an ability to contribute to interdisciplinary
collaborations in research and teaching; f) successful administrative
experience at least at the level of chair or the equivalent.

Deadline: February 15, 2008; if not filled, every Monday thereafter until
the search is closed. Only electronic applications will be accepted. Send
letter of application, a statement describing your research program and
teaching philosophy, curriculum vitae, a statement describing your
administrative philosophy, a writing sample, and three names of references
along with contact information to Jamie.Howell at asu.edu.

The New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences at the West campus of
ASU, in Northwest Phoenix is forming a new division of Social and Behavioral
Sciences with faculty from programs with a strong interdisciplinary focus.
Researchers pursue multidisciplinary projects, often with a community
embedded focus and emphasis on issues of social justice and metropolitan
affairs, health disparities in the context of familial and community
environments, and many collaborate with colleagues at other ASU campuses.

As a New American university, Arizona State University is a force for
discovery, turning students into leaders who shape the future. In its 22nd
year, the West campus of ASU, located in Phoenix, fulfills this mission
through interdisciplinary teaching, research, and community engagement. The
campus serves more than 8600 students and offers 33 bachelor¹s degree
programs, 13 master¹s degrees, and two doctoral degree programs. Please
visit our website at http://www.west.asu.edu <http://www.west.asu.edu/> . A
background check is required for employment. ASU is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer in policy and practice.