[URBANTH-L] The 5th ETMU -days and The 7th Youth research -days 23-24.10.2008

Heidi Villikka heidi.villikka at nuorisotutkimus.fi
Fri Mar 14 11:15:29 EDT 2008

CALL FOR SESSIONS

Deadline: 30 March 2008

Generations in flux- International interdisciplinary conference on ethnicity, integration and family ties

October 23-24, 2008
Säätytalo/ Tieteiden talo, Helsinki, Finland

Organised by

The Finnish Society for the Study of Ethnic Relations and International Migration (ETMU)

The Finnish Youth Research Society

In cooperation with the Department of Social Psychology, the University of Helsinki

There is a growing, and interdisciplinary, interest in migration, integration, multiculturalism and transnationalism. However, relatively little attention has been paid to age, family and intergenerational aspects, although these issues are implicitly present in many migration and integration studies. Life span and age perspectives enable, for example, the examination of not only change and fracture, but also of continuity in the processes of migration, integration and identity formation. It is thus important to promote research in this area.

The Finnish Society for the Study of Ethnic Relations and International Migration (ETMU) and The Finnish Youth Research Society have joined their forces and announce an international interdisciplinary conference "Generations in flux". We invite researchers from different disciplines who address questions of age, life course, identity and migration. The conference offers an interdisciplinary forum for dialogue and exchange of diverse theoretical and empirical traditions. Our main objective is to discuss social and psychological processes, and forms of culture in generational encounters related to migration and new patterns of transmission of "the old to the new".

Are we witnessing dramatic social and cultural disruptions, or should we be more sensitive to the continuities, reproduction and even harmony within and between migrant groups and host communities?  By highlighting phenomena such as social memory, individual agency, multiple memberships, acculturation, and personal experiences of past, present and future, we could gain deeper knowledge on what is shared, contested or even denied within and between families, youth cultures and ethnic or cultural communities.

Call for Sessions

Researchers, research groups and students are invited and encouraged to propose sessions that address the conference theme. The length of the session proposal should be no more than 200 words. The Proposal of the session should include:

·         Title of the session

Describe the subject of the session as accurately and specifically as possible.

·         Coordinator(s) of the session

Provide the full name, title, address, telephone number and e-mail address of the session coordinator(s). Coordinators will be responsible for selecting the papers for the session and they will act as chairs of the session at the conference.

·         Summary

Describe the objectives of the session in no more than 200 words.

The language of the conference is English. Submit your session proposal by email to heidi.villikka at nuorisotutkimus.fi before 30 March 2008. The organisers reserve themselves the right to choose the final themes of the sessions. These will be announced April 15th.

Please forward this Call for Sessions to colleagues and all others with an interest in study of Ethnic Relations, International Migration and Youth Research.

 For more information on the conference see  <http://www.nuorisotutkimusseura.fi/> www.nuorisotutkimusseura.fi

 Tiedon välitti,

Heidi Villikka
Järjestösihteeri