[URBANTH-L]CFP: Global Civil Society and Poverty

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 8 14:37:38 EDT 2008

Global Civil Society and Poverty Call for Papers
Deadline: October 1, 2008

Call for short empirical case studies on global civil society
phenomena/strategies to tackle poverty in or from the North.

These will form a chapter in the 2009 Global Civil Society Yearbook, which
focuses on the framings, strategies and impacts of various global civil
society actors on poverty and its alleviation.

Inspired by several exciting empirical case studies on poverty and gcs
in/from the North, we have created an additional chapter that could comprise
for example, the phenomena of pro-poor gifts promoted by NGOs, civil society
Poor People's Economic Rights Commission, and microfinance in the North.
Each case study would be 2000-3000 words, for which there is a small fee of
£500.

We are looking for researchers - including advanced PhD students - who are
studying any such civil society strategies/phenomena and who would be
interested in providing short empirical case studies for Global Civil
Society 2009.

As the deadline is 1 Oct 08, we envisage your research is nearing completion
and you are keen to publish it in a prestigious publication.

The Yearbook, now in its eighth year, is a collaboration between the Centre
for the Study of Global Governance at LSE, the Center for Civil Society at
UCLA, and this year the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai.

Fiona Holland
f.c.holland at lse.ac.uk