[URBANTH-L] CFP: Contemplating Migration and Settlement in Global and Local Contexts

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 23 12:12:24 EDT 2008

CFP: Contemplating Migration and Settlement in Global and Local Contexts
Location: Ontario, Canada
Submission Deadline: October 4, 2008

Immigration and Settlement Studies-Ryerson University
Graduate Student Conference
Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario

The Immigration and Settlement Studies program is pleased to announce the
First Annual Graduate Student Conference, to take place on the 4th of
October 2008 at Ryerson University. Immigration and Settlement Studies is
the first interdisciplinary program in Canada focusing on migration and
settlement issues past, present, and future. The organizing committee
considers the importance of academic involvement in issues that are both
community and globally oriented. Given the renewed debates surrounding
immigration issues such as Bill C-50, the Commission on Reasonable
Accommodation, Temporary workers, and the Canadian Experience Class, among
others, we consider the timing of this conference to be particularly
relevant. This event offers graduate students across all disciplines the
opportunity to present and discuss their research ideas with fellow students
in a professional, intellectually vibrant, and supportive forum.

The theme for this year's conference is Contemplating Migration and
Settlement in Global and Local Contexts. We are especially interested in
papers that address the following issues:

. Social location and its impact on migration
. Empire, colonialism
. Transnationalism: understanding citizenship, diasporas
. The settlement experience: breaking barriers, building bridges
. Representations of the immigrant in media and literature
. Policy matters

Presenters should be current graduate students or students who have recently
completed graduate studies (2 years).We also encourage submissions from the
visual, sound and performing arts. All accepted art submissions will be
exhibited at the conference location.

We encourage all students interested in presenting at the conference to
submit an abstract. Abstracts should not exceed 250 words. Please include a
separate information sheet containing the following:

1) Name
2) Affiliation: Institution/Department/Program of Study
3) Email address
4) Title of abstract as it appears on submission
5) A short personal profile of no more than 5 lines.

Abstracts and personal information forms in WORD format should be submitted
electronically at ISSgradconference at gmail.com no later than August 22nd,
2008. We will notify all authors about acceptance of their papers by
September 5th, 2008. Presenters of the accepted papers will be then asked to
send PowerPoint slides or a brief summary (no more than 2 pages in length)
by September 12th, 2008.

For more information, please contact the organising committee at
ISSgradconference at gmail.com

ISS Organizing Committee
Ryerson University
Email: issgradconference at gmail.com