[URBANTH-L] Call for Submissions: Gender and the City (Special Issue of Frontiers)

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Thu Apr 23 12:34:49 EDT 2009

Gender and the City
A Special Issue of Frontiers: A Journal of Women Studies

This special issue of Frontiers: A Journal of Women Studies will explore
reciprocal relationships between gender and the city. For many decades
feminist scholars in numerous and diverse fields have studied the importance
of gender in constituting cities and the role of urban places in
constructing gender. We want to develop a vigorous cross and
inter-disciplinary conversation about these relationships of gender and the
city. We therefore call for papers and creative works that analyze urban
political, social, economic, and cultural experiences, institutions, and
representations; the urban environment, including interior and exterior
spatial arrangements and architecture; and the role of women in this dynamic
relationship of gender and the urban.

An inter- and multidisciplinary journal, Frontiers welcomes submissions of
creative works such as artwork, fiction, and poetry, as well as scholarly
papers. Works must be original, and not published or under consideration for
publication elsewhere. We encourage those interested in contributing to the
special issue to email the guest editors.

Submissions should be sent to Frontiers as email attachments to
frontiers at asu.edu or on disc according to submission guidelines at
http://www.asu.edu/clas/history/frontiers/submit.html. Author names should
not appear on the manuscript; list contact information separately.

Guest Editors:
Maureen A. Flanagan (Department of History, Michigan State University)
flanaga6 at msu.edu
Maryann Valiulis (Centre for Gender and Women's Studies, Trinity College,
Dublin) mvliulis at tcd.ie
Gayle Gullett

Co-Editor, Frontiers: A Journal of Women Studies, Department of History,
Arizona State University, P. O. Box 874302, Tempe, AZ 85287-4302
Phone:(480)965-4787
Fax: (480) 965-0310

Email: gayle.gullett at asu.edu
Visit the website at http://www.asu.edu/clas/history/frontiers/submit.html