[URBANTH-L]ANN: NY Human Rights Defenders Internship - Latin America

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 5 19:33:01 EDT 2009

Fall 2009-NY Human Rights Defenders Internship - Latin America

Location: New York, New York, 10001, United States
Area of Focus: Human Rights and Civil Liberties
Start date: September 1, 2009
Last day to apply: August 31, 2009
Paid or unpaid: Unpaid
Language(s): Spanish

Human Rights First welcomes applications for interns in its Human Rights
Defenders Program to assist with our program work in Colombia and Guatemala.
Interns will be based in HRF's New York office and will be expected to
commit to working at least 10 - 12 hours a week for a minimum 10-week
period. The internship is available starting in September 2009. Interns will
be responsible for securing their own funding.

The Human Rights Defenders Program provides support and assistance for
individuals and organizations threatened or targeted for persecution
resulting from their activities in support of human rights. By mobilizing
government officials, diplomats, academics, corporate leaders, and U.N.
officials we pressure governments to ensure the basic rights and freedoms
needed by human rights activists to carry out their essential functions.

Preferred general qualifications: strong interest in and commitment to human
rights; excellent written and oral communication skills.

Specific qualifications: We are looking for an intern to assist in research
and writing various advocacy documents we produce on Colombia and Guatemala.
We are looking for the following specific qualifications:
. Experience in Latin America and ability to speak, read and write Spanish
fluently, preferably natively.
. Ability to analyze complicated Colombian and Guatemalan court decisions or
articles and write analytically about them in English.
. Understanding of basic tenets of legal and political systems in Latin
America.
. Knowledge of international human rights law and UN system.

General responsibilities may include:
. Research, analysis and drafting of memoranda on substantive and procedural
issues, legal issues and legislative matters;
. Documenting and reporting on human rights conditions;
. Supporting program staff on broader advocacy initiatives, including
research, preparation of advocacy materials and assisting with outreach to
designated constituencies;
. Proof-reading and cite-checking publications;
. Translating human rights documents;
. Assisting in outreach to media outlets;
. Other tasks as needed.

Application instructions:  To apply for this position please visit our
Internship Program page at
http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/about_us/jobs/apply.aspx. Select this
position from the internship listings and complete an online application.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.