[URBANTH-L]Reader on the Anthropology of Homelessness

AWaterston at aol.com AWaterston at aol.com
Tue Feb 17 11:43:35 EST 2009

In the spirit of sharing information, below is information about my
ethnography on women and homelessness in NYC:
_http://www.temple.edu/tempress/titles/1462_reg.html_
(http://www.temple.edu/tempress/titles/1462_reg.html)

Love, Sorrow, and  Rage: Destitute Women in a Manhattan  Residence
Alisse  Waterston
"A brilliant ethnography of women on the edge....  Waterston is one of our
best urban ethnographers, mixing intelligent fieldwork  and sheer novelistic
splendor in a masterful work. A must-read. This book should  be standard for
every ethnographic methods and theory course on urban life,  women, poverty, and
race."
—Terry Williams, New School for Social  Research
Love, Sorrow, and Rage gives powerful voice to  women like Nora Gaines and
Dixie Register, who tell us what it's like to live on  the streets of New York,
how it feels to lose your mind, about the taste of  crack cocaine, and the
sweetness of friendship. In this novel-like narrative of  homelessness and hope,
poor women share a table, their meals, and their  intimacies with author
Alisse Waterston. On the pages of this impassioned  ethnography, Waterston puts
mythic, demonized bag-ladies to rest, and in so  doing, brings ordinary women to
life.
>From drug addiction and the spread of AIDS to the growing  gap between rich
and poor in the U.S., the topics in this book get  front-page coverage in daily
newspapers across the country. Waterston seeks to  understand, to explain,
and to solve the human crisis that surrounds us. Towards  this end, she
challenges us to look at the ways in which our society and the  workings of our
political, economic, and popular culture contribute to the  suffering experienced by
our most vulnerable citizens.
An important corrective to popular depictions of the urban  poor, Love,
Sorrow, and Rage provides a penetrating analysis of the  causes and consequences of
poverty. It offers a deeper understanding of what  leads to and perpetuates
poverty and of the human complex of love, sorrow, and  rage felt by those who
experience it.
Love, Sorrow, and Rage will engage  readers interested in urban studies,
women's studies, social issues and  policies, anthropology, sociology, political
economy, and New York City life.
Reviews
"Love, Sorrow, and Rage tells us something  powerful and intimate about a
group of poor women living in the wealthiest city  on the face of the earth. In
the process, Alisse Waterston demolishes a series  of myths about the 'urban
underclass' that have perverted both social theories  and social policies.
Indeed, Waterston has succeeded where an entire generation  of anthropologists,
sociologists, and psychologists has failed: she renders in  vivid detail, and
with a towering passion of her own, the ways in which  ostensibly impersonal
forces—racism, gender inequality, ill-conceived social  policies—come to have
their effect in poor women's lives. Accountable to a large  literature but
unshackled from the constraints of jargon, Love, Sorrow, and  Rage takes flight as
bitter and persuasive poetry. It should be required  reading for physicians,
social workers, policy-makers—indeed, for all those  fortunate enough to meet
women whose lives have been damaged by the structural  forces that come alive in
this remarkable and harrowing book."
—Paul  Farmer, Harvard Medical School
"A moving and beautiful book. In so much of what is  written about 'the
homeless' and 'the mentally ill,' the people themselves are  missing. Alisse
Waterston brings out their humanity. Nothing can replace an  experience, but reading
a book like this is the next best thing."
—Ezra Susser, Columbia University
Contents
Acknowledgments
Prologue: An Urban Ethnography for Our  Times
1. Home, Some Place
2. Some Kind of Nobody
3. Drinkin' and  Druggin'
4. Sorrow and Melancholia
5. Abuses of the Spirit
6. Love  and Other Intimacies
7. Odd Women Out
8. Pistachio Nuts
9. A Madness  in Me
10. Rage
11. Difference and Other Infections of the Day
12.  The Road to Clarity
Notes