[URBANTH-L]ALLA Call for Invited Sessions

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 18:32:30 EST 2009

From: Anahí Viladrich <aviladri at hunter.cuny.edu>

American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting
2009 Theme: The End of Anthropology?

Invited Sessions Deadline: March 12th, 2009

Volunteered Panels and Papers Deadline: April 1st, 2009

The Association for Latina and Latina Anthropologists seeks session proposals for invited status for the 2009 AAA Annual Meeting. Session proposals should address innovative research and critical issues related to the field of Latina/o studies in the US and abroad, including the lives and experiences of Latinos and Latinas, the engagement of Latino anthropologists in the academic and professional fields, and original analyses of the social representations of Latinos in the media, popular literature, etc. Session ideas that pursue comparative analysis of Latinos vis-à-vis other ethnic groups in the US and abroad, will also be considered for invited status. Proposals should have a session abstract and a list of speakers, their paper titles and paper abstracts according to the AAA's regulations.

Please make sure that you submit your proposals for invited sessions directly to us. We will also be in contact with other sections to co-sponsor invited sessions. Once we reach a decision, your session proposals should be submitted electronically to the AAA.

This year the AAA is encouraging innovative formats. Please consider the option of proposing invited round tables. We are thinking about different possibilities for these roundtables: publishing on Latina/o issues; conducting research on Latinas/os; Latinas/os politics. These are just a few ideas. If you are interested in any of them or others. Please, volunteer to organize them and contact us as soon as possible.

You may also submit ideas for regular sessions, workshops, and roundtables and we will contact membership to see if there are interested participants. We encourage experimental and innovative formats. Feel free to email us if you have any questions regarding this call, including the appropriateness of your topic to ALLA's mission statement.

Carmen Ferradas
ALLA president
ALLA 2009 Program Committee Chair
E-mail: cferradas1 at gmail.com