[URBANTH-L]Immigration and Health Syllabus Request

Leo Chavez lchavez at uci.edu
Tue Jan 6 12:04:16 EST 2009

HI: Much of my work has been on this topic, see
below.  I have many of these article on pdf files
if you'd like to see any.  I've attached one on
immigration and medical anthropology for you.

Take care,

Leo Chavez

The Latino Threat: Constructing Immigrants,
Citizens, and the Nation.  Stanford University Press, 2008.

           Academic Articles, Reports, and Book Chapters

(B7)       Chavez, Leo R.  "Doctors, Curanderos
and Brujas: Health Care Delivery and Mexican
Immigrants in San Diego," Medical Anthropology
Quarterly, Vol. 15:31 37, 1984 (refereed).

  (B14)     Chavez, Leo R., Wayne A. Cornelius
and O.W. Jones.  "Utilization of Health Services
by Mexican Women in San Diego," Women and Health,
Vol. 11, No. 2:3 20, 1986 (refereed).

  (B15)     Rumbaut, Ruben, Leo R. Chavez, Robert
Moser, Sheila Pickwell and Sam Wishik.  "The
Politics of Migrant Health Care: A Comparative
Study of Mexican Immigrants and Indochinese
Refugees," Research in the Sociology of Health
Care, Vol. 7: 143 202,1988 (refereed).

  (B23)     Hubbell, F. Allan, Howard Waitzkin,
Shiraz I. Mishra, John Dombrink, and Leo R.
Chavez.  "Access to Medical Care for Undocumented
Latinos in a Southern California County."  The
Western Journal of Medicine 154(4):414 417, 1991 (refereed).

  (B26)     Chavez, Leo R., Estevan T. Flores,
and Marta Lopez Garza.  "Undocumented Latin
American Immigrants and U.S. Health Services:  An
Approach to a Political Economy of
Utilization."  Medical Anthropology Quarterly 6:6 26, 1992 (refereed).

  (B27)     Chavez, Leo R., and Victor M.
Torres.  The Political Economy of Latino
Health.  In, The Anthropology of Hispanic Groups
in the United States, Tomas Weaver (ed.).  Houston: Arte Publico Press 1994.

  (B30)     Chavez, Leo R., F. Allan Hubbell,
Juliet M. McMullin, Rebecca G. Martinez, and
Shiraz I. Mishra.  "Understanding Knowledge and
Attitudes About Breast Cancer: A Cultural
Analysis."  Archives of Family Medicine
4:145-152, 1995 (refereed).  [Reprinted
“Compreendendo o Conhecimento e as Atitudes
Relativas ao Cancer de Mama:  Uma Analise
Cultural” in  JAMA/GO, an international journal
of selected articles from the American Medical
Association journals, Vol. 3:1714-1732, 1995.]

  (B31)     Chavez, Leo R., F. Allan Hubbell,
Juliet M. McMullin, Rebecca G. Martinez, and
Shiraz I. Mishra.  "Structure and Meaning in
Models of Breast and Cervical Cancer Risk
Factors:  A Comparison of Perceptions Among
Latinas, Anglo Women, and Physicians." Medical
Anthropology Quarterly 9(1):40-74, 1995 (refereed).

  (B33)     McMullin, Juliet M., Leo R. Chavez,
and F. Allan Hubbell.  “Knowledge, Power and
Experience:   Variation in Physicians’
Perceptions of Breast Cancer Risk
Factors.”  Medical Anthropology 16:295-317, 1996 (refereed).

  (B38)     Rebecca G. Martinez, Leo R. Chavez,
and F. Allan Hubbell.  “Purity and Passion:  Risk
and Morality in Latina Immigrants' and
Physicians' Beliefs About Cervical
Cancer.”  Medical Anthropology 17:337-362, 1997 (refereed).

(B39)      Leo R. Chavez, F. Allan Hubbell,
Shiraz I. Mishra, and R. Burciaga
Valdez.  “Undocumented Latina Immigrants in
Orange County, California:  A Comparative
Analysis.”  International Migration Review  31(1):88-107, 1997 (refereed).

  (B43)     Leo R. Chavez, F. Allan Hubbell,
Shiraz I. Mishra.  “Ethnography and Breast Cancer
Control among Latinas and Anglo Women in Southern
California.”  In Anthropology in Public Health:
Bridging Differences in Culture and
Society.  Robert A. Hahn (ed.).  Pp.
117-141.  New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press.  1999.

  (B45)     Marc L. Berk, Claudia L. Schur, Leo
R. Chavez, Martin Frankel.  “Health Care Use
Among Undocumented Latino Immigrants:  Is free
health care the main reason why Latinos come to
the United States?  A unique look at the
facts.”  Health Affairs 19(4):51-64.  2000 (refereed).

(B46)      Chavez, Leo R., Juliet M. McMullin,
Shiraz I. Mishra, and F. Allan Hubbell.  “Beliefs
Matter: Cultural Beliefs and the Use of
Cervical-Cancer Screening Tests.”  American
Anthropologist 103(4)1114-1129, 2001 (refereed).

  (B48)     Chavez, Leo R.  “Immigration and
Medical Anthropology.”  In American Arrivals:
Anthropology Engages the New Immigration.  Nancy
Foner, editor.  Pp. 197-227.  Santa Fe: School of
American Research, Advanced Seminar Series.  (refereed) 2003.

  (B50)     Chavez, Leo R. “A Glass Half Empty:
Latina Reproduction and Public Discourse.”  Human
Organization  63(2):173-188, 2004 (refereed).

(B53)      McMullin, Juliet M., Israel De Alba,
Leo R. Chavez, F.Allan Hubbell, “Influence of
Beliefs about Cervical Cancer Etiology on Pap
Smear Use among Latina Immigrants.  Ethnicity and
Health 10 (1):3-18, 2005 (refereed).

  (B56)     Chavez, Leo R., “Imagining the
Nation, Imagining Donor Recipients: Jesica
Santillan and the Public Discourse of
Belonging.”  In, A Death Retold:  Jesica
Santillan, The Bungled Transplant, and Paradoxes
of Medical Citizenship.  Keith Wailoo, Julie
Livingston, and Peter Guarnaccia, editors.  Pp.
276-296.  Chapel Hill:  University of North Carolina Press, 2006  (reviewed).