[URBANTH-L]this is so unbalanced

Sam Beck sbeck at med.cornell.edu
Wed Jan 7 09:42:29 EST 2009

I understand the difficulty Barry Wellman has with the discussion.
However, this list ought to enable any member to raise ethical/moral
issues of concern, especially under the conditions that are taking
place in Gaza.  The deaths, injuries, destruction, and suffering of
Gaza civilians is unacceptable.  Just about every country of the
world has asked for a cease fire and the opening of borders to bring
in aid.  Hospitals are overwhelmed, the situation in Gaza is so dire
that people are unable to leave their homes, people are bleeding to
death, and so on.  How can anyone stand by without saying
something.  There are massive demonstrations against this war taking
place in Israel by Israelis.

Sam

At 08:53 PM 1/6/2009, Barry Wellman wrote:
>I was distressed reading the extraordinarily anti-Israel comments on this
>list. I do not believe that such comments are the focus of this list. And
>that the discussion is not being carried on in our area of expertise. I
>hope that people will take their discussion elsewhere.
>
>  Barry Wellman
>
>   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
>   Department of Sociology                        University of Toronto
>   725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388                  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
>   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-3963
>
>   Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

Sam Beck, Ph.D.
Director