[URBANTH-L]Possible AAA panel: CFP

Gordon Mathews cmgordon at cuhk.edu.hk
Wed Jan 21 11:45:05 EST 2009

Hello,

I am interested in putting together a panel for AAA on the topic of
"Africans in China/Chinese in Africa," exploring ethnographically the
growing and ever more tangled economic, social and cultural links
between the two regions.  My own research is on Chungking Mansions,
Hong Kong, and on the mobile phone trade in China-made copy phones
that goes on there--I estimate that 15%-20% of the mobile phones now
in use in sub-Saharan Africa have passed through Chungking
Mansions.  My graduate student has been travelling with traders
between south China and Nigeria, exploring all the complex financial
and legal obstacles traders face in their journeys.   We are looking
for anthropologists who have been ethnographiocally exploring in
different ways the Chinese presence in Africa or the African presence
in China.  If you are interested, please be in touch with me off-list.  Thanks!

Best regards,
Gordon Mathews