[URBANTH-L]Summer Institute on Popular Culture and the City, Amsterdam, NL

sim-ishss sim-ishss at uva.nl
Thu Jan 29 14:00:00 EST 2009

Please feel free to share this information
http://www.graduateschoolofsocialsciences.nl/gsss_education/object.cfm/0760D4BC-1321-B0BE-A4A4957B76D75AB9

We are very proud to present the first CAMCAS Summer Institute on Popular Culture and the City, which will be held at the Graduate School of Social Sciences at the University of Amsterdam, NL from July 7- 22, 2009.

Amsterdam is a vibrant city with a rich cultural-historical heritage, a substantial creative industry and a diverse cultural life. Its inhabitants are a colorful mix of different cultures and lifestyles. In short, Amsterdam is the perfect testing ground to study and to explore popular culture. We will examine theories and concepts on media, entertainment and popular culture in an urban setting and explain the different research methods used in media, cultural and urban studies. We will discuss how city life is represented in popular culture and how popular culture moulds and forms urban life. We will describe the different subcultures among urban youth and take a closer look at the creative industry and the music scene.

This Summer Institute offers students of various disciplines, but with an interest in media, cultural and urban studies, a great opportunity to study and to explore Amsterdam. The Institute is an intensive and active two-week summer programme that seeks to provide an interdisciplinary approach to the study of urban popular culture and to promote opportunities for international networking among participants.

Deadline for Applications is May 1st, 2009.

We expect a class of approximately 15-20 students.

The scientific director is Giselinde Kuipers and this year's faculty includes Linda Duits, Floris Müller, Jan Rath, Stijn Reijnders, Olav Velthuis en Liesbet van Zoonen. Applications must be addressed to the University of Amsterdam at the address below. You can visit our web site http://www.graduateschoolofsocialsciences.nl/gsss_education/object.cfm/0760D4BC-1321-B0BE-A4A4957B76D75AB9
for further information or to download an application form.

Please feel free to share this information.

Sincerely yours,

Monique Aerts
Mirjam Schieveld

CAMCAS Summer Institute on Popular Culture and the City
Graduate School of Social Sciences
(formerly: International School for the Humanities and Social Sciences)
Universiteit van Amsterdam

Postal address
Prins Hendrikkade 189-B
1011TD Amsterdam