[URBANTH-L]Urban Anthro working group in NYC area?

Jill Siegel jrsieg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:40:57 EDT 2009

I would love to be part of a Urban Anthro working group in NYC. My
dissertation is on low-income housing in NYC, and also deals with
race/ethnicity and space.
Thanks,
Jill Siegel

From: Lisa Knauer <lknauer at umassd.edu>
To: Fatimah Williams Castro <fatimahc at eden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:02:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [URBANTH-L]Urban Anthro working group in NYC area?
Dear Fatimah and all:
I don't know of any group in New York but would be happy to be part of one.
My work also looks at race/ethnicity and space.  Let's see if others chime
in. And if there is an existing group, please let us know!
Regards,
Lisa Maya Knauer

Fatimah Williams Castro wrote:
Dear Colleagues,

Does anyone know if there is an urban anthropology (space and place) working
group that meets regularly in the NYC area?   At this stage in my
dissertation writing (on black social movements in Colombia, South America),
the issues of urban ethnography and the racialization of space have become
prominent topics. I'm interested in joining other scholars to circulate
works in progress for feedback and discussion.

Thanks!
Fatimah Williams Castro
Doctoral Candidate, Cultural Anthropology
Graduate Assistant, Center for Race & Ethnicity
Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
fatimahc at eden.rutgers.edu