[URBANTH-L]CFP: AN Issue on The Future/s of Anthropology

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 11 12:25:12 EDT 2009

From: Jayne Howell jhowell at csulb.edu>

Please contact Dinah Winnick directly (dwinnick at aaanet.org) if you would
like further information about these Anthropology News thematic issues.

Hello Anthropology News Contributing Editors:

I hope you are having a great summer. Please spread the word about this
opportunity within your sections, committees and interest groups. Those
interested should email a 300-word abstract and 50-100-word biosketch to me
by August 15 to participate. Please also note that our "Aging and the Life
Course" (Nov issue) deadline is July 22, and our ongoing "Work-Life Balance"
series deadline is August 25 (it will be ending with the Dec issue). For
details see www.aaanet.org/issues/anthronews/callforpapers.cfm.

Best,
Dinah

Dinah Winnick
Associate Managing Editor, Anthropology News
American Anthropological Association
dwinnick at aaanet.org
Visit the new AAA blog: http://blog.aaanet.org

The Future/s of Anthropology: Submit Your Article Proposal by 8/15
Anthropology News seeks contributions for a thematic issue on the future/s
of anthropology. To participate, email a 300-word abstract and 50-100-word
biosketch to editor Dinah Winnick (dwinnick at aaanet.org) by August 15.
Selected authors will be asked to submit commentaries of 1000-1400 words or
shorter pieces for other article types

This topic responds to the 2009 AAA Annual Meeting theme "The End/s of
Anthropology," prompting conversations on contemporary challenges facing the
discipline and innovative visions of new directions, goals, audiences,
theoretical orientations and methodologies. Proposed articles may address a
variety of issues related to this theme, including (but not limited to):

What does our increasing emphasis on interdisciplinary collaboration and
public engagement mean for the future of anthropology?
How will the diffusion of anthropological theory and practice into other
disciplines impact anthropology education and how we identify as
anthropologists?
How will we experience the relation between academic and practicing
anthropology, and anthropology as a four-field discipline, in future years?
How will US-based anthropologists' increasing awareness of and engagement
with vibrant scholarly communities outside the US impact the discipline?
How are anthropology's relationships to various publics and disciplines
changing?
What kinds of publics might we seek to address or produce with our work, and
how do we push the field's epistemological and presentational conventions to
effectively do so?
How must we rethink notions of space and time in relation to new
anthropological subjects and audiences, including migrant, diasporic,
transnational and digital communities?
How do we conceptualize the proliferation of mass mediated intimacies, and
what can this tell us about new forms of engagement?

Article proposal submission deadline: August 15, 2009
www.aaanet.org/issues/anthronews/CFP-Futures-of-Anthro.cfm