[URBANTH-L]JOB: Southwestern U., Anthropology, Asst. Prof.

Benito Vergara vergara.benito at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 15:23:31 EDT 2009

The Department of Sociology and Anthropology invites applications for
a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Anthropology (Cultural). We seek
a colleague who will be an exceptional teacher and mentor and a
productive scholar in a liberal arts context. Candidates should have
demonstrated excellence and creativity in undergraduate teaching and
an active research program that can potentially incorporate students.
The department also encourages the incorporation of experiential and
activist learning into teaching.

We are seeking a teacher-scholar who complements and does not overlap
with our current strengths/areas of coverage. We are especially
interested in candidates whose research and teaching is focused on
Latin America, Mexico, the U.S. – Mexico borderlands and/or Latinos in
the U.S. The successful candidate will regularly teach Introduction to
Anthropology, upper-level electives, and will also regularly rotate in
teaching the major core course in ethnographic methods and the senior
capstone seminar.

The position will include the opportunity to contribute to the
school’s interdisciplinary programs – Latin American Studies,
International Studies, Environmental Studies, and Feminist Studies.
Candidates who have a strong commitment to enhancing diversity in
academia are also preferred.

A Ph.D. in Anthropology should be completed by August 2010.

Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution
committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts
education. Southwestern currently enrolls approximately 1,250 students
and maintains a student to faculty ratio of 11 to 1. In addition to a
number of other national organizations, Southwestern University is a
member of two consortia of liberal arts colleges, the Associated
Colleges of the South and the Annapolis Group. Located in Georgetown,
Texas, 28 miles north of downtown Austin, Southwestern is affiliated
with The United Methodist Church. Southwestern University is committed
to fostering a diverse educational environment and encourages
applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in
academia. For information concerning the University, visit our Web
site at www.southwestern.edu. For additional information about the
department, please visit our web page at
www.southwestern.edu/academic/depts/socanthro/.

Interested candidates should send application letter, Curriculum
Vitae, a brief statement of teaching philosophy, a brief statement of
research program, and the names and contact information for three
references to: Kelly Lessard, Faculty Secretary, Department of
Sociology and Anthropology, Southwestern University, P.O. Box 700,
Georgetown TX 78627-0700. Application packets must be post-marked by
October 19.

Southwestern University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE/M/F.

Contact Info:

Website: http://www.southwestern.edu