[URBANTH-L]a question concerning methods/ethics

Marc Tyrrell marctyrrell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:00:02 EDT 2009

Hi Fethi,

I ran across that situation during my PhD research, except in a stronger
form: I was *required* to use their real names or they wouldn't grant me any
field access.  I mentioned all of the concerns brought up by Marni but the
general response was laughter and and amusement - no one had any concerns
except my committee.  In fact, several of my informants felt that my
concerns over the issue were just another example of academic arrogance <wry
grin>.

The rule I ended up following was that if my informants requested or
required that I use their real names, I did.  If they were neutral or
"didn't mind", I used pseudonyms.  All the interviews I took (as opposed to
fieldnotes) were typed up and sent back to the informants for their approval
with an option for them to edit anything in them - no one took me up on it.
I also ended up using a lot of "neutral" pronouns and phrases (e.g. "several
of my informants") in the actual writing.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Marc