[URBANTH-L]RE: a question concerning methods/ethics

David Levinger dlevinger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 09:07:55 EDT 2009

Here is another devil's advocate position.  When I reflect upon my own work,
I can see that it has *served me* to anonymize the source for three key
reasons:

   1. It strengthens my ability to generalize from the specific.
   2. In doing so, I prevent access to my informants--making me an
   obligatory point of reference for the study and precluding anyone from
   getting to the source of the material without going through me.
   3. My narrative obtains a paternalistic authority via the very act of
   naming.

Actually, the informants in my work are frequently identifiable and not
protected by IRB policy.  I do my work in the public realm of transportation
systems where the informants are frequently public servants.  I offer them
the right to have their accounts remain anonymous, but because of this
conversation, I am reconsidering that stance.

Fethi, thank you for a great discussion!

-David