[URBANTH-L]a question concerning methods/ethics

Bascom Guffin mbguffin at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 30 11:52:10 EDT 2009

Following from David Houston's point, and this entire discussion, it
seems to me that the entire IRB system, at least as it pertains to
most ethnographic and sociological work, needs to be revisited. In my
neck of the woods, at least, we deal with a highly medicalized idea of
human subjects research - one that, as some of you have pointed out,
basically strips informants of any real sense of agency. At the same
time, as Robert Lawless points out, information that anthropologists
gather can and has been used in ways that endanger and even sacrifice
the lives and livelihoods of informants and their communities. The
discussion we're having here tells me that there is a strong need for
an alternate, non-medicalized set of ethics around human subjects for
the kind of work we tend to do, one that will reasonably protect
individuals and communities while not sacrificing their own agency
within the inherently collaborative endeavor of ethnography.

		Best,
		Bascom

Bascom Guffin | PhD Candidate
Department of Anthropology