[URBANTH-L]RE: a question concerning methods/ethics

Ellen Moodie emoodie at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 30 12:57:32 EDT 2009

As an IRB member and ethnographer, I would suggest that the only issue that matters here is the risk/benefit ratio. If you can effectively argue on your application for board approval that the benefits outweigh the risks, then no responsible IRB has the right to prohibit using people's names--if, that is, your consent arrangements allow people to agree to that use, and research participants have been informed of those benefits and risks. Often there are very few risks to using people's names.

As the director of my IRB wrote me:

"There isn't anything in the federal regulations that addresses this directly, but they do refer to this with respect to waivers of documentation of informed consent www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/45cfr46.htm#46.117):

        (c) An IRB may waive the requirement for the investigator to obtain a signed consent form for some or all subjects if it finds either:

                (1) That the only record linking the subject and the research would be the consent document and the principal risk would be potential harm resulting from a breach of confidentiality. Each subject will be asked whether the subject wants documentation linking the subject with the research, and the subject's wishes will govern....

Usually the  waiver described here is for studies about illegal activity or when even just the knowledge that a person was in a research study (e.g., Alzheimer research, bi-polar disorder research) would put the individual at risk. But in this case the regulations say if a person wants to be identified the researcher can-- in fact [the researcher] must [identify him or her]."