[URBANTH-L]syllabus help: sustainable cities?

Lisa Knauer lknauer at umassd.edu
Tue Jun 30 14:48:56 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues: I convinced the sustainability studies program at my
school to engage urban and environmental justice issues ... and now I
find myself signed up to teach a 3-week (8 sessions) module on
sustainable cities from an anthropological perspective (note to self:
think twice before sharing your good ideas with the world). Has anyone
out there taught something similar, or have you read anything that would
be useful (and accessible for undergrads: it's a 200-level class)?  With
3 weeks there's only so much I can do. Some of the topics that interest
me are: sustainable economies, food/farming/gardens/CSAs, garbage,
housing ... I've started to sift through the sustainable cities and
environmental justice soc/anthro lit, but it never hurts to accumulate
more resources.
Thanks in advance.
Lisa Maya Knauer
lknauer at umassd.edu  (in case you want to reply off-list)