[URBANTH-L] CALL FOR INTEREST: New York Metro Graduate Urban Research Network

Brian Stromberg brian.stromberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:17:02 EST 2009

*CALL FOR INTEREST: New York Metro Graduate Urban Research Network*
Please circulate widely to interested parties (and apologies for
cross-postings).

Are you a graduate student studying issues of urban redevelopment like
gentrification, alternative forms of homeownership, foreclosure, local
economic development, cooperative business models, immigration policy, labor
issues, or something related in the New York City metropolitan area? (e.g.
NYC, New Jersey, Philadelphia)

Many graduate students in planning, geography, environmental psychology,
urban ecology, and anthropology are studying similar issues at different
institutions throughout the metro area (Grad Center, Rutgers, Pratt,
Columbia, etc.).  We welcome you to a planning and information session where
you can meet others whose research deals with issues of urban change and
redevelopment.

Our goal is to create a forum that will facilitate opportunities for
students in the NYC metro area with shared urban research interests to:

   - collaborate on projects;
   - form informal workgroups to discuss research strategies and challenges;
   - keep one another informed of relevant conferences, talks and other
   events; and
   - devise ways to make our work directly useful to the organizations and
   communities we study, e.g. through technical assistance, summarizing
   publicly available data, mapping.

Because we are all at varying stages of our graduate programs and research,
scattered across many institutions, and already balancing many obligations,
we hope to devise ways of making this group a source of support and
assistance in carrying out our work, not a burden added to it.

*Please join us for a planning and information session at 1pm on Friday,
April 10th 2009 at the CUNY Graduate Center*.  We will discuss our research
interests, goals and expectations for this group, and an organizational
structure that fits our needs.  Feel free to bring your lunch.

The CUNY Graduate Center is located at 365 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street.  It
is easily accessed by the 6, N/Q/R/W & B/D/F/V subway lines and is within
walking distance of Penn Station.  (Room to be determined).

Please contact Desiree Fields at desiree.fields at gmail.com or Katie
Himmelfarb at katiehimmelfarb at gmail.com if you plan to attend the planning
and information session on April 10th, or for more information.

--
Katie Himmelfarb
National Center for Neighborhood & Brownfields Redevelopment
kmgh at eden.rutgers.edu
katiehimmelfarb at gmail.com