[URBANTH-L]ANN: Columbia Committee on Global Thought Postdocs
jancius3022 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 30 14:01:59 EDT 2009
The Committee on Global Thought at Columbia University has opened its 2010 search for Post-doctoral Research Fellows. There are up to four positions available and we hope you will encourage your students to apply. More information on the Committee on Global Thought may be found at http://cgt.columbia.edu/ Please circulate widely.
The post-doctoral fellowship of the Committee on Global Thought at Columbia University brings together an innovative group of interdisciplinary researchers from around the world. The Fellowship gives emerging scholars the opportunity to work with distinguished faculty and provides a space for collaborative research and publication. Global Thought encourages interdisciplinary, transnational research under three broad themes: Secularism and Diversity, Global Governance, and Poverty and Inequality. Past fellows have researched topics including the local socio-economic consequences of global policy, the historical roots of identity, and the evolution of transnational and international political structures. Scholars from any discipline may apply, provided that they successfully indicate how their work will contribute to Global Thought's research themes. Up to four fellowship spots are available for the academic year beginning August 1, 2010. The term of the fellowship is two calendar years, beginning August 1, 2010 and ending July 31, 2012.
CGT Post-doc fellowship Application Requirements Fellows are expected to:
- Teach or assist with one undergraduate or graduate course, either of their own design or as specified by the Committee. When teaching, fellows are required to hold weekly office hours.
- Participate in planning and execution of research workshops and symposia.
- Present their individual research projects.
Eligibility International applicants are encouraged to apply. If selected, Columbia University will sponsor the appropriate visa.
Candidates will be considered only if:
- They received their first doctorate from a recognized university no earlier than August 1, 2005 (Those who have not completed their degree at the time of application must provide a statement from an adviser citing the expected date of completion.)
- They do not hold or have not held a tenure or tenure-track position.
-They can fluently speak, publish, and teach in English.
-They submit an original research proposal.
Benefits - An annual salary of $55,000, which includes health insurance and other standard benefits. - Access to Columbia University libraries and computer resources. - Shared office space. - Eligibility for additional funding for special research projects. - Eligibility to apply for campus housing.
Application Deadlines: Priority Deadline: November 1, 2009 ($30 application fee) General Deadline: November 15, 2009 ($50 application fee) The application fee may be waived at the discretion of the selection committee.
To apply: 1. Complete the Application online at http://cgt.columbia.edu/form/
Upload the following documents: 1. Curriculum Vitae 2. Cover Letter 3. Research proposal -not to exceed 1500 words; -The description should include the background, nature, importance, specific objectives, and methodology of the proposed research project
4. Writing Sample - not to exceed 20 double spaced pages - preferably an article or research paper published in a scholarly journal - topic should be pertinent to the proposed research project - no books will be accepted By Postal Mail or Email
5. Three letters of reference.
6. Application fee ($30 by November 1 or $50 by November 15) a) Payment by credit card: Download payment form at cgt.columbia.edu. Scan form and email to cgt.postdoc at columbia.edu or send to our office via postal mail. b)Payment by Check or money order made payable to Columbia University, send via postal mail. All postal mail may be sent to Committee on Global Thought Columbia University 440 Riverside Dr. New York, NY 10027 attn: post-doc search All questions may be directed to: cgt.postdoc at gmail.com For more information please visit our website: http://cgt.columbia.edu/about/opportunities/post_doctoral_fellowship1/
Committee on Global Thought Columbia University 2960 Broadway MC 5780 New York, NY 10027 cgtmail at gmail.com
More information about the URBANTH-L