[YSU-Jewish] FW: Jewish, Polish Joint Film Project Announced

Center for Judaic and Holocaust Studies at YSU ysu-jewish at lists.ysu.edu
Sun Apr 11 18:22:42 EDT 2010

From: Aundrea Cika [mailto:acika at cisnet.com]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2010 12:32 PM
To: Andy Gray; Guy Dastolfo; Lyndsey Hughes; Mark C. Peyko; Mike Case;
Kristen Hephner; Stan Boney
Cc: Angela Messenger; Marianne Poprik; hjsinnreich at ysu.edu; Bonnie Burdman
Subject: Jewish, Polish Joint Film Project Announced

In the Name of Their Mothers: The Story of Irena Sendler

Sunday, April 25th   1:30 PM

McKay Auditorium, Beeghley Education Building, Youngstown State University

Parking provided

All,

Irena Sendler takes the crying baby into her arms, turns her back on the
hysterical mother, and walks off into the night. If she's caught, she and
the baby will die.

"Promise me my child will live!" the mother cries desperately after her.

She turns for a moment. "I can't promise that. But I can promise that if he
stays with you, he will die."

Irene Sendler saw this image in her dreams countless times over the years,
heard the children's cries as they were pulled from their mothers' grasp;
each time it is another mother screaming behind her. To the children, she
seemed a merciless captor; in truth, she was the agent to save their lives.

A Polish Catholic social worker who served in the Polish Underground and
resistance organization, Irena Sendlerowa is credited with saving 2,500
Jewish children by smuggling them out of the Warsaw Ghetto.

Her story, told in the new documentary, "In the Name of Their Mothers,"
reveals how she and others accomplished this feat but also how they were
captured and tortured for it. It features the last long interviews Irena
Sendler gave before she died at the age of 98, and includes interviews with
several of her liaisons and the children they saved. More information,
including a film clip, is available at  <http://www.irenasendlerfilm.com/>
www.irenasendlerfilm.com

The Polish Arts Club, Youngstown Area Jewish Federation and the YSU Center
for Judaic and Holocaust Studies is hosting a screening of this powerful
story. It is a first time cooperation between the groups as a sign of
understanding of their shared histories. It is also the first time the film
has been shown in the US since its Warsaw premiere.

The groups are also bringing the film's Director Mary Skinner to Youngstown
to enhance the educational experience of the program for the general public
and our mixed audiences. She is available for interviews before the event
and on site.

Attached you will find:

*	A release about the screening with quotes
*	Sendler's biography
*	Sendler photos
*	Skinner's biography

Information on the groups follows.

Please share the information on this inspiring and educational film with
your audiences.

Thank you in advance

Sincerely

Aundrea Cika
Director, PolishYoungstown
330-646-4082
aundrea at polishyoungstown.com
www.PolishYoungstown.com

The Youngstown Area Jewish Federation coordinates and enriches the
religious, educational, cultural and social life of the Jewish communities
of Mahoning and Shenango Valleys while promoting the welfare of the Jewish
people, locally, nationally and overseas. More information is available at
<http://www.jewishyoungsown.org> www.jewishyoungsown.org

The Judaic and Holocaust Studies Program at YSU is dedicated to teaching and
promoting research on all facets of Jewish culture and history. The program
places a special emphasis on the experience of the Jewish people during the
Holocaust and to that end, promotes the lessons of tolerance and genocide
prevention. More information is available at  <http://www.ysu.edu/judaic>
www.ysu.edu/judaic.

The Polish Arts Club of Youngstown was create to disseminate information and
promote the exchange of ideas relative to Polish literature, music, drama
and fine arts to its members and residents of the Mahoning Valley. More
information is available at  <http://www.polishyoungstown.com/artsclub>
http://www.polishyoungstown.com/artsclub.