[bfsa] The BFSA Mission Statement?

Cameron Hughes cahughes at cc.ysu.edu
Thu Sep 15 15:20:20 EDT 2005

Hi all..,.

I'm sending the official statement of the mission of B.F.S.A out in
response to some questions and comments
that we received relative to our petition on behalf of Dr. Midamba.

The mission statement as it reads on our web site is:

The focus of the association shall be to promote better understanding
among the
African American faculty and staff of Youngstown State University and to
bring the
perspectives of this Association to bear upon the operation procedures
of YSU. To
facilitate, as completely and as meaningful as possible, the educational
and work
experience of students, faculty, and staff of YSU. To this end BFSA
shall endeavor:

                 To encourage the recruitment, interviewing, subsequent
hiring, retention, and
                 professional development of Black faculty and staff
members,

                 To influence the recruitment, retention, and
educational development of
                 Black students on the main campus and at the metro
campuses of Youngstown
                 State University,

                 To influence the development and maintain relevant
academic programming
                 in the area of education for Black students
specifically, and educational
                 programming in general,

                 To develop mechanisms for increasing the mutual
responsibilities of Black
                 people to Black people, which is in addition to normal
responsibility that one
                 obtains from being a member of the Youngstown State
staff,

                 To influence and facilitate the coordination and
cooperative financing, when
                 appropriate, of relevant socio-cultural programs by
various groups (student,
                 non-academic, etc.).

It should be apparent that our petition on behalf of Dr. Midamba is in
perfect alignment with
the mission statement of the BFSA. Serious questions  and concerns about
the mission statement or this particular
petition should be formerly presented at the next official  BFSA
meeting.  In these troubling and confusing times where
diversity is so very misunderstood, the University needs us to help them
be the best University they can be, and to help them deliver the best
product they can deliver.  If we faithfully execute our mission
statement we will have performed a great service to
the University, to the students, and to ourselves.

If not now....  When?
If not here.... Where?
If not this.... What?
If not us....   Who?