[YAPA] Wednesday's YAPA meeting

Roy McCullough rmccullough at ysu.edu
Thu Oct 9 13:04:20 EDT 2008

Tony pointed out I forgot to include the date.  Wednesday October 15.

Roy

Roy McCullough wrote:

>Hello fellow Science Enthusiasts: A quick note to remind you that this
month's YAPA meeting will be at Canfield High.  Our host is Steve
Hlaudy.  A map is attached.   As usual, the meeting will start about
7:00 P.M. and last until we've all had a chance to share (usually
between 8:30 and 9:00).   We'll aim this time for momentum and energy,
but will be interested in anything you care to share. Hope to see you
there. Roy and Mike For those who couldn't make September's meeting:
>What you missed:
>Dick Zitto started by sharing some give away items he found as he was
cleaning out his barn.   This included a $280+ CPO demonstration
electric motor that will be given away at November’s YAPA meeting.  You
can look it up on CPO’s website.  … Be there.

>Jodi McCullough presented the Large Hadron Rap from YouTube, a sure way
to help your students’ perspective on geeks.

>This was followed by Mike Crismano with several sharing/give away
items… Clearing out the storage area, he found torque pipes to give
away.  He followed this with demonstrating the effect of free fall on a
burning candle.  He next showed us a new way to “rip” a CD.   Using
tape to peel of the paint layer of CD’s often produces a very useful
transmission diffraction grating…when combined with a shoe box, this
produced a quality, inexpensive spectroscope.   We hope to do this as a
make and take at the November YAPA meeting, so plan to come and bring a
shoe box along.  Mike finished his show with a simple conductivity
tester that allowed one to test the conductivity of a solution using
battery level voltage… this lead to a lively discussion of Jarod’s law.

>Jim Andrews followed with a teaser from his workshop at this weekend’s
Ohio Section of AAPT meeting.  If you haven’t gotten work of it.  The
meeting is at Lorain County Community College (North of Elyria) and
starts Saturday at 9:00 A.M.  They never turn away people who register
at the door.  Jim’s workshop is on Intro to Materials Physics-Polymers
and will have several work stations where participants can investigate
the how polymers differ based on their physical and chemical exposure
(You’ll definitely want to check out happy and sad balls that are at
temperature extremes.)  His teaser involved investigating the density
of different polymers.

>Roy McCullough followed with a group demonstration on scale models of
the solar system.  Starting with a scale that made planetary sizes
viewable and the Sun about 30 cm in size, we found that we ran out of
hallway space.   Scaling back to a standard light bulb for the Sun we
still couldn’t get beyond Jupiter…Finally, with a maglite size Sun, we
got out to the dwarf planet Pluto.

>As usual, we ended the meeting with drawings for giveaway items.
>Want to do more with Windows Live? Learn “10 hidden secrets” from Jamie.
>http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008

                   Name: Canfield.jpg
                   Type: image/pjpeg
                   Encoding: BASE64