[YAPA] Fwd: Digital Resources for Teaching & Learning

Richard Zitto rjzitto at ysu.edu
Mon Oct 20 14:10:51 EDT 2008

FYI      z

WGBH wrote:

>Click to view this email in a browser
>[http://hosted.vresp.com/235290/5547cada7c/551000685/c515168d3c/]
>

>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/091fefe453]
>

>Teachers' Domain News - October 2008
>

> Teachers' Domain Awarded Grant For Biotechnology Education
>

>This past month, Teachers' Domain was awarded a  $926,000 grant from
>the Amgen Foundation to create new biotechnology resources, scientist
>career profiles, an online professional development course
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/1827fc0e90]
>, and seven regional teacher professional development workshops for
>high school science teachers over the next two years.
>
>As a result of this grant, teachers and students will have free access
>to award-winning digital media and interactive visualizations designed
>to illustrate a variety of core concepts in the field of
>biotechnology.
>
>For the full story press release click here
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/2e6f7a0d92/javax.por
tlet.tpst=aee9cc3159b56d183b1907ddb9a6917e_ws_MX&javax.portlet.prp_aee9c
c3159b56d183b1907ddb9a6917e_newsId=20080923005175&javax.portlet.prp_aee9
cc3159b56d183b1907ddb9a6917e_newsLang=en&javax.portlet.prp_aee9cc3159b56
d183b1907ddb9a6917e_viewID=news_view_popup&beanID=1791428325&viewID=news
_view_popup&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.port
let.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken]
> [...]
>in Math & Science Teaching (PAEMST) and has been a public school
>teacher for 22 years.  Three of those years were at the Department of
>Teacher Education at Brigham Young University.
>
>If you weren't teaching, what would you be doing?
>
>Ty: If I weren't teaching, I would be working for an oil company doing
>oil exploration.
>
>How do you use Teachers' Domain in your classroom?
>
>Ty: I assign my students several Teachers' Domain assignments to
>complete as homework throughout the term. I frequently begin my earth
>science
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/9101b5442d]
>class by asking students questions or by making comments about an
>assigned Teachers' Domain activity.  This seems to naturally get
>students on task and elevates their interest levels about the
>learning.
>
>I also use Teachers' Domain in class to help solidify a student's
>understanding.	I plan to further extend  Teachers' Domain in my
>classroom by setting up a blog with questions that my students can
>respond to as part of a  Teachers' Domain
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/0ad77f85eb]
>resource.
>
>How does TD help your students?
>
>Ty: Teachers' Domain focuses my students on concepts and new materials
>that I teach them.  What I really enjoy about Teacher's Domain is that
>it shows me the state core standards that it meets.  Because many of
>the video clips repeat the same standard, I can pick and choose video
>clips and assignments that enhance my lessons.	Teachers' Domain
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/d5e2b7ffca]
>is user friendly, its assignments are interesting for students, and
>they require only 10-15 minutes to complete.  Yet, they provide
>tremendous information and learning.
>
>What advice on using TD would you give to new (teacher) users?
>
>Ty: I feel that a new teacher should take advantage of the lessons
>provided by Teachers' Domain, and should align them with their state
>science core curriculum.  They should use the video clips and
>questions as a way to stimulate thinking in their classroom.
>Teachers' Domain can be used in so many ways, so find your own method
>in using this effective teaching resource.  Also, the online
>professional development courses
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/b7d7468cdf]
>can help new teachers can become better educated in specific areas of
>science.
>
>Contact Ty at: TyR at provo.edu

>  Save money when buying full episodes of your favorite PBS shows!
>Teachers' Domain registered users now receive 10% off Shop WGBH
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/b59036f9fa]
>.
>
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/5ac2006bcf]
>

>To receive discount, enter code  WEBTD
>

>We've added new subjects to Teachers' Domain!

c&lid=551000685&ldh=c515168d3c]

> [...]
>Graduate credit available
>Discussion boards connect you with your colleagues
>Trained facilitators lead the way
>
>For information or to enroll in a Teachers' Domain course:
>
>Call Teachers' Domain, (617) 300-3640 and find out how your district
>can offer a TD course on your own Moodle or Blackboard platform
>
>OR
>
> Visit:
>http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/1fbbb756dc
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/8d54b0b0b5]
>to see TD courses starting in January 2009. Click "Science" in left
>bar, input your zip code under "Availability" in the left hand column,
>then click "Scheduled Courses."
>
>Questions?  Call (617) 300-3631.
>
>_____________________________
>
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/d1900c40f6]
>NSDL / NSTA Web Seminars Present
>
>Beyond Penguins and Polar Bears
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/e71f336c45]
>:  Physical Science From the Poles
>
>October 29, 2008
>
>6:30 pm to 8:00pm (EST)
>
>The NSDL, in partnership with the National Science Teachers
>Association (NSTA) is offering a series of
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/39cf23418f/pager=professional_development]
>free online professional development web seminars for K-5 educators.
>This month, learn about resources that
>integrate literacy
>strategies with science related to the polar regions.
>
>Register with NSTA and login on
>October 29th to meet NSDL experts and teachers from across the
>country.   For more information, or to register click here
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/c054a37358]
>.
>
>_____________________________
>
>Selected Partner Organizations:
>
>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/233d20cec4]
>

>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/27906c899c]
>

>WGBH enriches people's lives through programs and
>services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship
>and culture, the joy of learning and the power of diverse
>perspectives.
>

>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/970fe0c7d1]
>

>Produced in Boston, shared with the world.
>

>Forward this message to a friend
>[http://oi.verticalresponse.com/f2af/v4/send_to_friend.html?ch=5547cada7
c&lid=551000685&ldh=c515168d3c]

>[http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WGBH/5547cada7c/c515168d3c/47c4e19380]
>Privacy Policy

>following link:
>http://cts.vresp.com/u?5547cada7c/c515168d3c/b3e233a

>WGBH sent this email free of charge using VerticalResponse for
>Non-Profits. Non-Profits email free. You email affordably.
>
>WGBH
>WGBH - Educational Productions
>One Guest Street
>Boston, Massachusetts  02135
>
>Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy:

R J Zitto  Physics Instructor
Youngstown State University
Physics & Astronomy Dept
Youngstown, OH 44555