[YAPA] significant figures and averages

Norma Holowach norma.holowach at neomin.org
Fri Sep 11 12:12:20 EDT 2009

	Working with significant figures and averaging several trials can
lead to some awkward answers. For example if I have the following
results for the density of a solid:  7.55 g/cm3, 8.10g/cm3, 6.89g/cm3
 the total would be 22.54 g/cm3 divided by the three trials and
appears that there should be 4 significant figures listed for the
average, 7.513g/cm3.   This does not seem right that the average
would be written to the thousandths place when the trials only went
to the hundreth place.  What am I missing here?
 Norma Holowach, M.Ed
 National Board Certified Teacher
 Science Department Chairperson
 Lakeview High School
 300 Hillman Drive
 Cortland, OH 44410
 (330)637-4921
 "Connecting with nature is an essential part of being alive."
 National Geographic.