[YAPA] April's meeting and summer course announcement

Roy McCullough rmccullo at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 21:15:19 EDT 2011

Its that time again.   A quick reminder the next YAPA meeting is April 14 at Poland High School.  Standard starting at 7:00 unsharp (or is that flat?).  For those who need a topic lets focus on light... Attached is information regarding the summer course in astronomy for science teachers.

Hope to see you there.

Roy

What you missed at the last meeting.

Gary Capone started the meeting by sharing copies of a DVD given out by WBGH “Reaching for the Stars” about Christa McAuliffe.  Cindy Smotzer followed with a worksheet she used in her Physics of Sound class showing the logarithmic relationship between frequencies used in the musical scale.  Mike Crescimanno shared unusual behavior in some surplus lasers he had on hand.  Their polarization changed with time and could be stabilized using a magnet… I suspect we may get more on this at another meeting.  Jodi McCullough shared information about a course for science educators she will be teaching at YSU this summer see the attached flyer for information.  She also discussed NASA’s offering of a prize for the best images of their Nanosail D… like we can catch something in these Ohio skies,  she also pointed out that the Shuttle and ISS would pass over us that night… we went outside at the appropriate time but again our skies didn’t allow any of us to catch a glimpse.   Jim Andrews is in the process of moving his office and offered some surplus books to any takers, the remnants from these will be available again at our May 5 meeting at YSU.  Roy McCullough shared the circuit boards with holiday lights used to demonstrate series and parallel circuits that YAPA had made a few years back. There are several blank boards left over from that time and it was agreed that a future meeting (probably the May 5 meeting) those interested can make up one to take home.  After the general meeting was adjourned, a few of us stayed and made the pop can generators.