[YAPA] Student Learning Objective testing

Robert Pendzick Robert.Pendzick at neomin.org
Tue Jun 3 19:27:58 EDT 2014

Trumbull County Educational Service center came and did a presentation at our Waiver day.   Thinking about what they said,

For most subjects there is no vendor approved written science tests -  seems this is true for most subjects except Math and English.

Sciences are looked at as support for Math and English instruction.

A SLO pre and post test must be approved by your Educational team (BLt'S) or your school's dept. in the subject.  Lot's of different ways to get an approved test....

Because we support Eng. and Math, it seems that extended response questions rather than knowledge multiple choice questions would be most beneficial.

With this in the background there is no restriction on the test (of course the questions should meet the State's Core background and topics.)

So, parts of the exam could be open book, and open note.  You can show growth by stating the students learned how to use the text, take, read notes, and interpret some of the data of your course.   (exactly what you do in experiments)

Also a part of the test could (should be) a reading of an experiment, or result to identify the steps of the scientific method.

Another part of the test might be reading a graph, like H-R diagram and interpreting parts of it.

Doing this you should be able to show Student Learning on acceptable levels.

There is no reason to make a Student Learning testing a fact test or closed book.

Of course I might be misunderstanding Student Learning Objective testing.

Robert Pendzick