[Ysu-academic-senate] IMPORTANT Senate Meeting - Wednesday, May 3rd

Chet Cooper crcooper01 at ysu.edu
Fri Apr 28 11:08:48 EDT 2017

Dear Senators,

Next week, Wednesday, May 3rd at 4:00PM in the DeBartolo Hall Auditorium, the last SCHEDULED meeting of the Academic Senate shall be held.

I wish to inform all of you of the rather significant agenda.  Senators should expect to remain beyond the usual 5:00 PM ending time.  There is business to conduct that requires a quorum.  If this business is not completed, an additional meeting may be necessitated after the end of the current semester and before the beginning of the fall semester.  (FYI – your current term as a Senator runs through August 15, 2017).

The agenda for the meeting can be found at the following link:http://academicsenate.ysu.edu/?page_id=61.  Please be aware that this is not the final version of the agenda. An updated agenda will be posted soon.

Key items to be presented at this meeting include:

1)   An update on actions by the YSU Excellence Steering Committee;
2)   Consideration of a Transfer Appeal policy (see attachment to this month’s agenda);
3)   Consideration of Study Abroad Procedure (see attachment to this month’s agenda);
4)   Continued discussion regarding the proposed changes to YSU’s posting policy with regard to political speech and other topics (see last month’s minutes and attachments);
5)   An action by the General Education Committee;
6)   A request by the graduate school for inclusion in the Senate’s new grievance procedure; and
7)   A Textbook Affordability update.

There are additional items that shall be presented as well, therefore, please be prepared to effectively and efficiently engage in this month’s Senate business.

I am also asking that Senators PLEASE come prepared to the meeting by reviewing the materials attached to the agenda.

With regard to the Faculty-Led Study Abroad Procedure Proposal, this document comes from a Senate ad hoc committee charged to develop Learning Objectives for all study abroad programs as well as relevant procedures for developing such courses.  The Senate should primarily focus on the Introduction and Expected Learning Outcomes.  These sections are directly under the purview of the Senate.  The remainder of the document provides details regarding how study abroad programs shall be developed and managed.  The material in these sections is not necessarily under the Senate’s purview, but the ad hoc committee wishes your input.  The ad hoc committee seeks the Senate’s endorsement of the entire document.  However, other than the Introduction and Expected Learning Outcomes, the discussion should not become a “word smithing” session.  Rather, if questions regarding the other portions of the proposal are not directly tied to the academic enterprise and policy development, I ask that Senators pose their queries to the ad hoc committee outside the meeting.

As always, I truly appreciate what each of you does for the Senate and YSU.  Your engagement in the academic process does not go unnoticed.  I thank you all for your diligence and commitment to making YSU a center of academic excellence.

I look forward to seeing all of you next week.

Cheers,

Chet Cooper, Chair
Academic Senate

--
Chester R. Cooper, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor, Biological Sciences

Voice/Phone: 330.941.1361

Notice: This electronic mail transmission may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential.  This information is intended for the use of the named individual(s) or entity to which it is directed.  It is not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, anyone other than the named addressee and should not be copied or forwarded to any unauthorized persons without prior notification of the author.  If you believe that you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please notify me by reply e-mail or via the above listed telephone number prior to deleting this message from your system.  Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Disclaimer: On occasion, it is possible that  attachments may be inadvertently included that do not wholly comply with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).  If a recipient of this email receives such a document, but requires one that fully meets ADA standards, please contact me at your earliest convenience.  I will send a compliant document as soon as practical.